Sunday 7 March 2010

Mama in a spin


I've been doing a lot more spinning lately - yay. It kind of got forgotten for a while, other things to do or just tiredness and various members of the family recovering from colds, etc.

Some Dorset Horn (otherwise known as Poll Dorset) skeins washed and ready to use, wind into balls or maybe a bit of dyeing?

2 washed skeins of Dorset Horn
and below with one to be washed
An Alpaca skein ready to be washed.

Alpaca skein

Some Jacobs brown/black fleece separated and spun, a few more rolags to spin and then this will be ready to ply. I haven't separated the colours before as I like how they blend together, but just thought I'd a bobbin or two like this.

Jacobs bobbins singles ready to ply

At my evening lesson I go to, I have recently been experimenting with blending colours (just hand plied) and fibres and have spun some synthetics which are quite different to spin - need to put more spin in them as they have little or no crimp.

Colour blending - spun on wheel, plied by hand

Synthetics - some mixed, some mixed with wool (to left of the bobbin)

I much prefer working with natural fibres though. Speaking of which, next week at my next lesson I shall be having a go at spinning some flax. I recently watched another member of the Guild spinning flax and was talking to Alex (my spinning teacher) about it and she offered to do that next time, so can't wait for Monday evening to have a go - hmmm what to make with some lovely handspun linen? I think some weaving project is forming in my head.

4 comments:

  1. It's looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be wonderful to knit with something you have spun yourself.
    You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn,
    How wonderful to meet another mama who loves to work with wool and sheep! Your spinning and fiber art is beautiful!!
    I look forward to visiting again soon.
    love,
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara,
    Thanks for visiting. I was in awe of your blog yesterday, sounds like you have a lovely life and your wools are just beautiful. I've added you to my following list so you'll no doubt see more of me soon.
    Thanks
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, come and say hello. Your thoughts are always appreciated, I read them all and will endeavour to respond. Thank you x