Friday 29 May 2009

Elderflower cordial

I used the elderflowers yesterday afternoon to make cordial which will be ready after 2-3 days, more flavour is infused if left longer.

Recipe used:
1.5 l of boiling water
1 kilo sugar
20 large elderflower heads
4 lemons
50g of citric acid (optional)

The elderflowers were put into the tub (I had about 30, but a few weren't large), and I added lemon zest and then sliced the lemons too and added them. To that was added a cooled syrup made from 1½ litres of boiling water and 1 kilo sugar. I also added 50g Citric acid as this helps to preserve it if keeping it for a while - not that I think it will last that long!
Can't wait for the weekend to bottle and try some.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't hold back any longer after seeing yours - still not many out round here but I'm far too impatient ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing up the hedgerows round here too! Off to get some lemons and citric acid on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strained and bottled today and it is absolutely gorgeous ... great on a hot sunny day like today.
    I'm picking some more in the next couple of days and these are destined for Elderflower Champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful, we love it here .. pity our tree doesn't look good this year again ! so off foraging xx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, come and say hello. Your thoughts are always appreciated, I read them all and will endeavour to respond. Thank you x